Friday, August 15, 2008

From Details Magazine, April 2008

Articles of interest:
"Would you REALLY be ok with a gay kid?"
by David Hochman
pgs. 112-114

"2008 Mavericks"
"Mavericks are incorrigible. They habitually ruffle feathers. They cut through the bullshit."
pg. 149
(except maybe inclusion of Ryan Seacrest . . . although who knows)

"Are you in a bromance (or is it just a man crush?)"
by Simon Dumenco
pg. 218
Selected Quotes:

"Homosexuality, of course, used to be known as the love that dare not speak its name - until, thanks to the gayification of pop culture, it became the love that wouldn't shut the hell up."

"The fact that some guys now not only admit to same-sex infatuation without suffering a paralyzing identity crisis but ANNOUNCE thm amounts to a seismic cultural shift."
JRR: I agree with this . . .

"'The word homosexual didn't even exist until the late 1880s or 1890s' says (Geoffrey Greif, a professor at the University of Maryland School of Social Work). He (also) adds that once upon a time, expressing same-sex admiration was the norm among red-blooded frontiersmen who didn't have the conceptual framework to fear that they might be labeled homos. 'A lot of the founding fathers of our nation would write letters to their male friends saying 'I can't wait to see you again. I love you; I can't wait to get together with you,' (Greif) says. 'Somewhere over the last 125 years, it became no longer okay for a man to present himself that way.'"
pg. 220

JRR: But I also feel like this is severely limited in terms of geographic location and demographic. I also do think that something has happened to masculinity over the past century to make the societal constructs of what "being a man" should really consist of, I don't think that homosexuality is now "the love that (won't) shut the hell up." If anything, it's still the love that is ridiculed and mocked, hence the 80 thousand Brokeback Mountain jokes that are still being tossed around.

No comments: