Leading up to the 2012 Election, I had heard much from conservative media about how if the economy is bad, people won't care about social issues. I think the vote says otherwise. There is always a right and a wrong when it comes to morality, despite the shades of gray that lie among that spectrum. It turned out that while the economy is of concern, people were not going to allow that fear stop them from voting to allow the pursuit of happiness for many groups in this country. I find that enormously encouraging.
And let me make on thing clear: I am not deceived by liberal media to believe that Obama does not have inexperience, weaknesses or downfalls - or that he does not partake in politics the same way his Republican counterparts do. And truth be told, if the GOP could divorce themselves from Christianity, the far right and the need to interfere with people's bodies, they wouldn't have lost. Do I believe that Romney had any clearer plan for the economy than Obama did? No. I think both of them are feeling their way blind. But, as Americans, the majority of us stood up for what we believed to be right in allowing people to be free, and we showed that a basic fear of prosperity for ourselves does not come at the cost of human rights for others. That, for me, is where the victory truly lies.
No comments:
Post a Comment