So, in an effort to expand ideas, knowledge and discourse (as well as in conjunction with a class) I have decided that I am dedicating myself to my blog this month as a form of apology for neglecting it recently. For the month of April, I am dedicating myself to writing at least one post per day.
Let it hereby be know that April is official blog month, at least according to my own purposes.
So in my first official act in the blogging extravaganza, I read today that the US has finally jumped on board for a seat in the UN's global Human Rights Council. They have this quote by Hil Clinton saying that Human Rights is back on board as a quality of US foreign policy.
All I have to say is: Really? Did it really take an entire 8 year administration for the American government to again become a supporter of global human rights?
It's also interesting to note that not everyone is on board because of "anti-Israel" connotations that the UN's HRC has. Now, the debacle in the middle east is obviously far greater than anything I can say in a few sentences here, but while I am in support for all people to have a space to call home, to say that "God" has appointed Israel is kind of insane. I mean, let's not forget the W. told the world that "God" told him to invade Iraq and free it's people. And how is that any different than saying that "Allah" is holding that land for the Muslims? It's not. The only main difference is that the Palestinians were there first. I'm not saying that they are right. But neither are the Jews. And the bottom line is all of this is that people need to stop being afraid to talk about the real issues of displacement so that we can start talking about resolutions.
Yes, I'm sure the UN HRC is highly politicized. Why? Because it's politics. Since when is the American public afraid to take on anything that is highly political?
No comments:
Post a Comment